Saturday, March 12, 2011

For Japan

As if an earthquake and a tsunami weren't enough, now the nuclear power plant explodes. Jesus, hasn't Japan suffered enough? Truman has not one but TWO bombs dropped there almost 70  years ago and now this. I am horrified and I scared---let the damage be minimal, let people escape with minimal harm, don't let children and babies and pets suffer, please please please...


I have a deep affection for Japan, where I worked briefly as a nightclub singer and sometimes teacher many years ago. I was at my most miserable there, and also my happiest, and I keep planning to go back for more than a few days in transit, but never do. And now this. I'm not one of those people in love with Japan, but I have a sincere appreciation for the country and a lot of admiration for the transit system, among other things. People are people--I guess I shouldn't be more horrified about this than say war in any nation, or domestic abuse or any of the other godawful atrocities that can happen. But--earthquake. Then tsunami. Then nuclear plant...clouds of radioactive nastiness will no doubt circle the planet, my doggies and I will be among the millions that breathe in the yuck, but more than that--please, minimal impact on the children and the babies and the pets. (Not that I want the adults to suffer either--but let's face it, we've had our shot, and the weakest and voiceless among us need protection most.) . If you don't pray, pray. If you hate Japanese people, pray. (Pray for them as well as yourself, you big lout.)  If you have extra cash, send it AND pray. I'll do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment