Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cancelled Dates

Let's say you're me, and a friend sends you a text saying, Hey, let's meet up Saturday evening and hang out. You're going to be working not far from your friend's place and you finish around six. Your friend knows the place where you work--hell, he went to school there--and he agrees. You text that you're not quite sure when you finish that day but you'll find out Saturday afternoon and let him know.

You get to work, find out you're done around 5:30, and send another text saying Hey, done at 5:30, meet you at the south gate at 5:45. Then--less than an hour before you are supposed to meet, your friend texts you. He can't make it. Busy. Has to watch his kids.  Do you a) send back a message saying Gosh, so glad you're spending time with your family, how I miss having a wee one around or b) send back a message saying "YOU FUCKING INCONSIDERATE BASTARD, YOU COULDN'T HAVE TOLD ME THIS EARLIER? I TURNED DOWN AN INVITATION TO COCKTAILS WITH A SINGLE STRAIGHT GUY FOR YOU!"

Guess which one I sent? Yes, I'm stupid that way. I may have sobbed a bit in the cab on the way home, but at least when I got there, I didn't hit either the cupcakes or the liquor cabinet, so score one to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment