Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cajun Meatloaf Deux

Basically, folks, take your favorite frickin' meat loaf recipe, but instead of the usual spices or whatever (my mother adds nothing, claiming she doesn't like to "spoil the taste of good meat") add a whapping dollop of  Cajun seasoning (recipe to follow) and top with barbecue sauce, ketchup, or brown sugar and cider vinegar. A good splash of Tabasco in the 'loaf and on top also help. If you're microwaving it, add extra liquid until it's mildly soupy, so that it doesn't dry out.


This is based on Robert St. John's recipe for Creole seasoning, found in his delightful tome Deep South Parties, but I have adapted it slightly by taking out the paprika, which for some reason doesn't enjoy the microwave process very much, as well as the Lawry's seasoned salt, which is hell to find over here. Perhaps the paprika I find here is at fault: it's fine dusted over the tops of eggs, or in goulash, but not so good in this dish. I also have changed the proportions slightly on Chef St. John's recipe.  If you love me, send me his OTHER delightful tome, Deep South Staples, as I need to know how to survive in a southern kitchen over here.


My Cajun Seasoning: 1/3 cup garlic salt, 2 T onion powder, 1 T  each cayenne pepper,  black pepper, AND white pepper, and 1 tsp each dry mustard, oregano, and thyme (dried, not fresh.)  I always add a few shots of Tabasco when I use this seasoning.

Since my daughter is violently allergic to garlic, I have a garlic-free version I use for her, which replaces the garlic salt with sea salt.

Also delightful: top the meatloaf with a bit of brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and bacon. Yum Yum. Especially good if you can manage to bake it in an oven, as opposed to largely steaming it in a microwave.

1 comment:

  1. I must add, I finally made a really terrible meatloaf using Brown Sauce (HP) and Cajun seasoning. For some reason, it simply was a horrible combination. It's harder than hell for me to find a place that sells minced beef (ground beef) so I'm not willing to tinker with that combination again. Just don't do it, that's all I'm saying. If you use Brown Sauce, don't be messing around with the Cajun stuff.

    ReplyDelete