Sunday, October 3, 2010

October. Rocktober. Whatever--It's Still Nice

I love October, not just because it's my birth month, or the fact that it's the best month of the year to visit Beijing, but because it's just so blue and gold and clean. I can make little pumpkin faces in the capital O's of October. I can anticipate Halloween with a powerful yearning totally out of proportion to the actual events of the evening--in fact, my decorations are up. If I wasn't in a hurry for the sitter to come over so I could nip out and buy groceries--seriously, I can't leave the two dogs alone right now--I would write a lengthy article about simple Halloween snacks and cocktails. However, I leave you with this:

 Cocktails can be made to look ghoulish if you do the following: rim the glass with orange and black colored sugar (mix it yourself with a bit of food coloring and sugar in a ziplock bag--shake like hell--rim (using that word is going to get me some hits of an unwanted nature.)

Rim (not that word again) your glasses with "blood"=== it's just corn syrup and red food dye. 

Use black vodka. It's out there--just look for it. Especially nice in a layered drink.

Use a glow stick as a swizzle stick.

Peel a litchi (lizhi) and insert a big blueberry or grape in the hole--now it's an eyeball. Toss on top of any drink to freak people out.

While I'm out--ostensibly at the grocery store, most likely Ikea--I will pick up more proper martini glasses and take some photos. I can't just leave it at a suggestion, can I? Photos are best.

No comments:

Post a Comment